our daily bread



Today I had an epiphany and caught a glimpse of what was on God's heart in saying "But rather seek ye the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you" (Luke 12:31), " But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you (Matthew 6:33).

Over and over again, I have experienced with every fiber of my being outstanding joy and satisfaction to the utmost in letting "go" and letting "God" have my full attention in worship, devotion, prayer or just simply in life. My conclusions have remained constant - "nothing" can or will ever compare to the joy of "being" in His presence - period! This means no list - no secret requests - no hidden agenda of what I want, think or feel - but just "being" in His presence.

If I now know that truly seeking His face and not His hand bears an incomparable fruit of satisfaction, why do I allow myself to ever entertain an understated state of ingratitude? Was His "free" gift of salvation not enough? Is knowing that as my father, He is responsible for and intimately acquainted with all of my needs not enough to invoke a trust that need not be shaken?

And I say unto you, "Ask and it shall be given you;" (Luke 11:9) and "Even when you ask, you don't get it because your motives are all wrong--you want only what will give you pleasure" (James 4:3). It is crystal clear - asking God comes with the territory and privilege of holding the title "child of God," but when I'm "not asking" or "not asking correctly" or "my asking altogether trumps my desire to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness" - something's off balance.

Our father who art in heaven - we invite a greater portion of your character, heart and purpose into existence today. Give us this day our daily bread - the mind of Christ to know what, when and how to ask for every material and spiritual need. And forgive us our sins as we also forgive others - including ourselves. And lead us not into temptation - for we know that your conviction brings life and so we desire to be constantly convicted, challenged and changed by you. For thine is the kingdom, power and glory - we acknowledge that all we really need is You and we are desperate for all you have to reveal of yourself to us. Forever and ever Amen. (Matthew 6:9-13)


Pray: Falling in love with your heart and drawing close to you by the power of your Holy Spirit living within me day-by-day O Lord, is my daily bread and with each portion you freely give - I am eternally grateful and satisfied.


Leave a Reply